Obtaining a D.C. Medical Cannabis Card

4 Easy Steps:

We welcome all patients with a medical cannabis card from any US state with a
medical cannabis program. Please bring your certification/card along with a valid,
government-issued photo ID.

If you are visiting TWC for the first time, please make sure to have your state ID AND
state medical cannabis card/certification with you. If you have had a state certification,
please have this printed out as we cannot accept it on your phone.

Alcoholic Beverage

Do You Live In D.C?

In order to get your medical cannabis card, you’ll need to prove that you have current residency in the District. This is because medical cannabis is legal in Washington D.C., but not in surrounding areas.

Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration(ABRA) will now accept an unexpired REAL ID Driver’s license as proof of DC residency.  If you do not have one, they will accept two of the following:
  • Driver’s license (if it has your current address) District I.D.
  • Current, unexpired Motor Vehicle Registration
  • Voters Registration
  • Utility Bill (not phone) within the last 60 Days
  • Current Paystub that shows Address, DC Withholding
  • A Signed Lease/Deed with your Name, DC Address, and Date

Getting a Healthcare Provider Recommendation

The decision to use medical cannabis is between a patient and a healthcare provider, like any other medication.

Your next step is to obtain a healthcare provider’s recommendation (any DC licensed physician, nurse practitioner, physician’s assistant, naturopath, or dentist can write a recommendation for medical cannabis).

Make your appointment today, so you can get the ball rolling! If your healthcare provider hasn’t issued a medical cannabis recommendation before, he/she can sign up for the program by clicking here. (If your healthcare provider will not write a recommendation, or you don’t feel comfortable asking your healthcare provider to contact Takoma Wellness Center and we will give you a list of a healthcare provider who has written recommendations in the past and are willing to see new patients).

Completing Your Patient Application

The process of applying for/renewing a DC medical cannabis card has changed somewhat during these challenging times.  You must have an email address and a credit/debit card with which you can pay online.  Most people receive their card in 1-2 weeks after applying.  You will need to obtain a recommendation from a health care practitioner first and then go to 

The application must be completed all at once, so please ensure you have everything you need, which will include:

    1. A picture of your head and shoulders against a white background ( only religious head-coverings are permitted by the Dept. of Health)
    2. Either a REAL ID  ‭(see photo above)
    1. Two documents that show your current DC address: 
  • Driver’s license (if it has your current address) or 
  • District I.D. 
  • Current, unexpired Motor vehicle registration 
  • Voter’s registration
  • Utility bill (not phone) within the last 60 days
  • Current pay-stub that shows address, DC withholdings
  • A signed lease/deed with your name and signature, your landlord’s signature, DC address, and date. 
    1. Your electronic recommendation number from your healthcare practitioner
  1. Upload your proofs of residency, photo ID and Medicaid or SNAP card (if applicable) onto to your computer/phone
  2. Go to or Google search: DC Marijuana Applications
  3. Choose  from the list of healthcare practitioners and click on the appropriate  link (Physician, Nurse Practitioner/APRN, Naturopath, Physician’s Assistant or Dentist)
  4. Complete online form
    1. Enter recommendation number from a healthcare practitioner
    2. Click on the Application type (Initial or Renewal)
    3. Complete info as listed
    4. Photo- Upload your picture
    5. Photo ID – upload your driver’s license or state ID
    6. Proof of residency (all addresses must be the same)
      1. If you have a REAL ID with your current address you can upload it as a Photo ID and again for proofs 1 and 2
      2. If you do not have a REAL ID, you may use your driver’s license/state ID for both the Photo ID and one proof of residency
      3. Enter one of the items listed in 1c above as your second proof of residency.
    7. Reduced application fee (if you have Medicaid or SNAP) you may qualify for a reduced application fee ($25 instead of $100)  Click “Check here if you qualify for a reduced application fee” and upload an appropriate picture
    8. Enter your healthcare practitioner’s name
    9. Complete Signature and click that you “agree to the terms and conditions”
    10. Click Submit
  5. You will receive an email from the Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration(ABRA) noting that they have received your application and are reviewing it.  You will receive a payment link within the week.
  6. When you receive the payment link, use a credit or debit card to pay the fee ($100 or $25 if eligible for reduced fee)
  7. You should receive an email in the mail within two weeks. This will serve as proof of your license. The Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration(ABRA) will send you a card once the COVID19 crisis passes.  
  8. Please contact  if you do not receive a payment link within a week of submitting your application or if you have not received your card within two weeks.

Each year you will need to obtain a healthcare practitioner’s recommendation and complete the online renewal described above.

Already a patient?